Monday, March 22, 2010

Thank God I think I suck!


It appears that those of who really, truly, honestly-to-Godly think our writing sucks, might actually be .... not so sucky!

At least, that's what uber-agent Nathan Bransford says here http://blog.nathanbransford.com/ I know! How cool is that? He also postulates (based on some article I couldn't really understand) that writers who think they are God's gift to the literary world might actually ... suck!

This is good news for me, since I look myself in the mirror on a daily basis and hiss something nasty, something like Dude, You suck or You ought to be ashamed of yourself or ... well, you get the idea.

However, it might be bad news for best-selling novelist Nicholas Sparks, who said in a recent interview that he's as good as Hemingway, or something like that. If you say so, dude. (I would have linked to the interview, but perhaps you can tell from the God-awful long link above, I suck at doing links, which I suppose could mean I'm actually good at it. Or not. My head hurts.)

Also, is anyone out there a juvenile official? Social worker? Lawyer? Police officer?

I'm only asking since I need to know if actually grounding a 12-year-old for LIFE is illegal. I mean, it would be easy to enforce for a while, but then I suppose we'd have to bring his future wife in on it, so that she could call and notify of us if he ever, I dunno, watches television or plays a video game or EVER DOES ANYTHING FUN AGAIN. That way, we could come over in our wheelchairs or walkers or whatever and whack him upside the head!

Ahem. Sorry.

I got an entire chapter revised today. It felt really, really good to get back to the novel. If I can stay at that level of work, I ought to have the entire novel revised in about two weeks. Once again, any other volunteers to do some quick beta reading? I would, of course, return the favor should you ever need one.

Until tomorrow.

6 comments:

  1. Lol - isn't writing and parenting the funnest ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents did that to me (grounded) when I was 16. It was a for life thing to. I never forgave them for that ;-) But legal? Certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's probably legal, but they'll drive you nuts and you'll be the one whose grounded. My kids would drive me looney after two days of being stuck in the house with no outlet.

    As far as beta readers, I said I would read it. I would love to as a matter of fact. If you want me to, that is.

    Let me know.

    I enjoyed all your character sketches by the way. I read them all, I just didn't always comment. I suck too sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, ooh, ooh. You can send the kid over to my house for grounding. He can be on poop duty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you're back at the novel, Terry! And I'm dying to know what that kid did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you find a way todo it, then please let me know. I have two of them living with me, as well as 4 other children (15, 9, 8, 5). As for the editing/revising, take a look at autocrit.com totally awesome program. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete