Sunday, March 21, 2010

Parenthood sucks sometimes


Sometimes, I wish I'd been sterilized at birth. Seriously.

Unfortunately, now is one of those times.

I'd planned to return to my usual blogging tonight with some deep, insightful post about, well, something. I didn't really have any idea what I was going to write about, but that's never stopped me before. I'm sure I would have pulled something out of my, um, you know what.

But now? Now, I'm angry. And sad. And frustrated with this thing called parenthood. With kids. I'm not going to go into what the issue is, other than to say it's serious. And it pisses me off. Big-time.

I'm a fairly strict father, but not overly so. Okay. That's not entirely true. Sometimes, I can spoil my sons and most of the time, I give them the benefit of the doubt. Okay. Fine. I'm a big softie. I'm lucky, because in spite of some rough patches (like tonight, for instance), I know in my heart that they are good kids.

But sometimes, I just want to smack them upside the head. Like tonight, for instance. At least, one in particular (and you know who you are!).

And so I sit here, listening to grown men and women argue on the floor of the House of Representatives over a health-care bill that ought to be a no-brainer (and since I don't blog about my political views, I'll let you wonder about that one), and I feel like a complete failure as a parent. As a father.

I know in my heart that I'm a good Dad, and my wife is a wonderful Mom. And I know a little about crappy parents, trust me. But sometimes, I have to wonder just what makes kids tick and why they do the the things they do.

(As an aside, my son Zach just came home and proudly showed me his new hair color! Dark brown instead of his usual blond. Some girl who's "sorta" going to beauty school did it for him. Why me, Lord?)

Soooooo. Anyway. I have nothing more insightful to post, other than I'm back and will post regularly about, well, stuff like this. I want to thank everyone for their patience while I indulged myself with the character sketches. I hope my blogger friends come back and comment once in a while. I miss you guys!

Until tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I'm a sucky commenter lately. I still love you.

    As for kids, there's one hard and fast rule that I stick to: My kids are not me. No matter what I do or say, they'll make their own decisions based on my input (maybe 10%), friends' opinions (30%), and whatever boy has interested them lately (60%). Kids are still trying to learn who they are, and they also want to be liked. Deep down, they might recognize that parents MAY know more than they do (whether they admit it or not), but we have only the power of influence, not to power to live their lives for them. And really, would you want to? You had your chances to fuck up. Your parents probably thought you were insane half the time. Were your decisions as a kid at all influenced by what your parents thought, other than, 'will this get me grounded?'

    My thirteen year old daughter has gone from a sandy haired, bespeckled, Naruto-loving oddball to a black haired, rock-n-roll devouring, skater chick. I know she is trying to find herself, and I won't get in the way. She knows drugs are stupid. We've had the 'sex talk.' I'm probably a bad mother for my reasons that teenage sex for girls is a bad idea. "Honey, boys in high school really suck at it so it's a waste of three minutes. You should wait until you graduate and can date older men."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose not to have children, so I can't give you any advice other than to hang in there. I hope things get better on that front. And once again, I truly enjoyed the character sketches. A good insight as to how a fiction writer works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm...I got nothin'.

    All I have is a ton of experience on all the mistakes I made. But I look back and I know that I loved my kids the best I knew how and learned as I went. (And so do they).

    ReplyDelete