Sunday, December 6, 2009

Projects update 1

I started this blog so I could write about my writing and, well, I guess I ought to start doing it.

The best way to kick things off is to update you (all two of you) on the the status of my two fiction projects.

The first, a mainstream novel about a disgraced former nun who thinks her son is Jesus Christ and enlists the help of a burned out newspaper editor to help get the word out, is finished and currently in the capable hands of book editor Staley Krause. Once I finish revisions and rewrites as per her edits, my hope is to start querying it around Feb. 1 -- once the post-holiday crunch is past.

(For you non-writers out there, querying refers to a letter describing your book and yourself that is sent out to literary agents in order to gain representation. The agent, in turn, sells your book to publishers.)

The Devil You Don't Know clocks in at about 120,000 words (about 430 pages) and will likely be revised after Christmas. Again.

My new project is a political thriller with the working title THE KITE, although I can see that changing as the plot progresses. Right now, it stands at slightly more than 8,000 words and will likely end up close to 100,000.

I've considered posting some excerpts, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I've read conflicting reports about whether publishers care about such things. I guess for now, I'll refrain from it until I get a final ruling.

Later, I'll post about my work habits and writing routine, since for some reasons all writers are interested in how other writers work.

SICK UPDATE: The illness I referred to in an earlier post returned with a vengeance exactly three minutes after I blogged that I was feeling better. It's turned into a nasty, nasty cold. But -- and I hate to even say it -- but I think I'm starting to feel better.

Hope all is well with you, Dear Readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment