Thursday, February 11, 2010

Inertia


Inertia (n): a property of matter by which it remains at rest or in uniform motion in the same straight line unless acted upon by some external force b : an analogous property of other physical quantities. See also Terry Towery.

Ok, so I did nothing today. Nothing. Well, that's not true, exactly. I met a dear old friend for a very long and very enjoyable lunch after a good workout and a heavenly thirty-minute steam at the health club. I came home fairly late this afternoon with good intentions -- I was going to knock off a chapter of revisions.

Good so far. So I fired up the computer and immediately became thoroughly enchanted by Twitter and Facebook and blogs and ... well, you know. Useless crap that seems so damned cool at the time. So by the time I realized that I needed to get to work, the Wife and Kid were home and it was time to make dinner. And then I sat down with the 19-year-old son and spent about three hours having one of those father-son chats that many fathers have with their 19-year-old sons. Ahem.

Soooo. Now it's nearly 10 p.m. and I got nothing. Nothing. And tomorrow? More nothing, since I have a full day of real life stuff going on. The weekend? Full. Monday? Nope, gotta take the 12-year-old to the doctor so maybe he can get his cast off. So that means it will be Tuesday before I can get back to revisions and by then, it will be almost time to start packing and getting ready to leave at 3:30 a.m. Saturday for a week in Tres Reyes, Mexico.

Yikes. I guess I'll get what I can done next week and head off to the jungle as guilt-free as possible. But man, when I get back, I need to get the nose to the grindstone.

Or this book will never see the light of publication.

Oh, and Family Movie Night tomorrow will be of a more adult nature (no, not that adult. Get your mind out of the gutter!). The little guy is on a movie date with two girls and another guy, so the wife and I get to watch The Hangover!

I'll try to pump out a blog post tomorrow if I can. Otherwise, I should be able to write one Sunday night when we get back from a Chicago Valentine's Day brunch with my in-laws.

Have a good night and a great Friday!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, knock it off. The book will get done. So you enjoyed yourself a little bit today. We need to do that every now and then in order to keep producing quality work.

    Balance Terry, Balance.

    How does that saying go?...

    All work and no play makes for a crotchety, cranky, decrepit, hackneyed, antediluvian of a man. Or something to that effect. ;)

    Enjoy your life. It's the only one you got. This ain't a dress rehearsal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you have one of those long father-son chats, turn on the voice recorder. Not only is it useful for reminding the kid what he said later ;), it can give you a transcript to put into a WIP at some point. That way, the dialogue will be authentic.

    :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina -- Hold that thought while I look up antediluvian.

    Josin -- Oh, it would be authentic. Trust me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good word isn't it?

    Not that your extremely old or anything. I was just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete